What is a charter school?
According to uscharterschools.org (an online learning community to serve and support charter schools):
“Charter schools are nonsectarian public schools of choice that operate with freedom from many of the regulations that apply to traditional public schools. The “charter” establishing each such school is a performance contract detailing the school’s mission, program, goals, students served, methods of assessment, and ways to measure success. The length of time for which charters are granted varies, but most are granted for 3-5 years. At the end of the term, the entity granting the charter may renew the school’s contract. Charter schools are accountable to their sponsor– usually a state or local school board– to produce positive academic results and adhere to the charter contract. The basic concept of charter schools is that they exercise increased autonomy in return for this accountability. They are accountable for both academic results and fiscal practices to several groups: the sponsor that grants them, the parents who choose them, and the public that funds them.”
Charter Renewal and Site Visit Reports
The following is a link to PAPA’s Site Visit Report:
Link to 2021-2022 Performance Framework:
PAPA was originally founded during the 2000-2001 school year. Our original founders were Frank Butler, Kristina Lord Linde, Bob Perls, Joan Findley Perls, Valerie Scott, and Fred Pink.
Is PAPA the “right” school of choice?
- If your child has a serious interest in the performing arts (dance, choir, musical instruments, theater, musical theater, film, visual arts)…
- If you are willing to make a commitment to performance schedules that go beyond the school day and on weekends…
- If you are looking for a rigorous, college preparatory curriculum…
- If your child is ready to take Algebra 1 in 8th Grade…
- If you are committed to having your child present and engaged daily…
- If you support the concept that homework is necessary for the acquisition of knowledge and skills needed for college…
- If you want your child to attend a school where respect is the norm, not the goal…
- If you think taking dance as your PE credit would be a blast…
PAPA may be the right school for your child!
The next Lottery window opens in January 4, 2022. On that date at 8am, the application will be posted here. You must submit the application by February 14, 2022 before 3pm.
All students are urged to complete an essay “What strengths would you bring to Public Academy for Performing Arts?” (no word count requirement) and encouraged to also attach a letter of recommendation from a teacher, arts instructor or other community member or leader who is familiar with the student’s performing art(s) area of interest. Submission is to gauge performing arts interest and will in no way effect lottery placement.
(The Lottery Window is closed for School Year 2021-2022) If you would like to submit information using our Outside the Lottery form here is a link
Admission Information 2022-2023
Steps for the lottery process at PAPA
Each year, as per state regulations, admission to public charter schools is done by a lottery process. To learn more about lottery regulations, please click on this link:
Current PAPA students are automatically entitled to enroll the following year without participating in the lottery. Siblings of currently enrolled students will have priority for admission, subject to space availability, but must complete the lottery paperwork. Remember if a current PAPA student withdraws before the 40th day of the 2021-2022 school year, the students’ sibling will lose preference.
The lottery does not guarantee admission, but determines preference in filling available spots. Once a grade level is filled, any remaining names are placed on a waiting list for that school year in the order in which their names were drawn in the lottery.
PAPA does not offer tours to the public outside of our Open House, which will be held Tuesday, January 25 (5pm-6:30 pm). If you are interested in having your child attend our school, we ask that you attend the Open House to ask questions about staff, curriculum and schedules.
- Lottery drawing results will be posted in February 18, 2022 by 8am. Please visit our website to view the lists.
- If we have a place for your child and if you accept the place, you must complete and submit a series of registration forms during “new student registration,” 8am to 12noon on March 10, 2022. Failure to comply with this requirement, on the date such paperwork is due, will result in a student losing his or her place at PAPA.
- Siblings are given priority in the lottery process; you must fill out an application for each child in your family (who you wish to attend PAPA). Remember there is no guarantee of admission for siblings if there are no openings in the grade your have applied for.
- We do not carry over lottery applications from one year to the next.
- The date the application is received has no bearing on the lottery pull.
If you are accepted to PAPA here is a list of documents you will need to fill out. Parent/Legal Guardian must complete registration process.
Student Information Sheet
Emergency Health Authorization
Free and Reduced Lunch Form (available in July)
Permission to Photograph
Technology Use Agreement
Locker Use Agreement
Carpool Sign Up
Language Use Survey
Dance Permission Form
We will also need copies of…
Childs birth certificate (required to register)
Immunization record (required to register)
Medical Use Authorization Form (for taking meds at school)
MS – most recent report card
HS – most recent transcript
Child’s IEP/SAT/504/BIP (if applicable)
Any legal documents – custody, name change, etc.