The staff at PAPA celebrates student success in academics and the performing arts. Our faculty prides themselves in offering the very best instruction available to public school students. Students are encouraged to select a rigorous set of courses. The more rigorous the course loads in high school, the more prepared students are for college and beyond. Teachers have high expectations, promote student accountability and responsibility, and provide support where it is needed. Students will achieve the highest level of success if they attend all classes, engage in instruction, and complete all assignments. Most of all, the staff wants to see each student develop talents and acquire skills that will prepare them for college and help them to become successful, productive adults.
Support OpportunitiesTargeted Assistance is working!!! Students who attended Math Targeted Assistance last year showed greater growth than in 2016 (5.1 points versus -0.4 points).
Any student needing help can attend one of the following support classes during 8th period:
- Grade 6 meets Monday through Friday with Ms. Garcia
- Grade 7 meets Monday through Friday with Ms. Ingham
- Grade 8 meets Monday through Friday with Ms. Mazzie
- Algebra I meets Monday through Friday with Ms. Blackwell
- Geometry meets Monday through Friday with Ms.Westerfield
- Algebra II meets Monday through Friday with Ms. Lynn
We appreciate the service of National Honor Society members as tutors in both the math and writing support programs.
For Students and ParentsUNM FAFSA Workshops
50 Senior Year Paid Internships, and for all high school students opportunity to volunteer on leadership committee to organize STEM events for teens first Friday of the month. Contact Denise Thompson at email@example.com or (505) 224-8388 for more information.
Air Force Laboratory Research Scholars Program looking for interns. Must be 16 years old. Deadline in December 2018 to apply. Visit website for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent’s Guide to FAFSA
PAPA FAFSA Workshops: Monday, October 8th; Tuesday, October 16th and Monday, November 5th. Email Ms. Maestas at email@example.com for an appointment.
Cohort Graduation Rate
College Exploration Opportunities
NMSU Aggie Experience October 20th and February 18th. Visit https://aggie-experience.nmsu.edu/ for more info.
American Academy of Dramatic Arts Open House in Los Angeles November 3, 2018 and in New York November 10, 2018. RSVP at aada.edu or call 1-800-463-8990.
UNM Fall Preview November 3rd. Visit http://admissions.unm.edu/fallpreview/ to register.
NM Tech Exploration Day November 3rd. Visit https://apply.nmt.edu/register/expo_day to register.
ENMU Senior Preview Day November 3, 2018. Register at enmu.edu/SrPreviewDay
Fort Lewis College Visit at PAPA Tuesday, November 6, 2018 during High School lunch in Ms. Blackwell’s Room 9
NMHU Visit at PAPA Wednesday, November 7, 2018 during 6th period in Ms. Maestas’s office Room 24
ENMU Visit at PAPA Friday, November 9, 2018 during High School lunch in Ms. Blackwell’s Room 9
IAIA Open House in Santa Fe, Thursday, November 8th, 2:00-6:00 p.m. Contact the admissions office at 505-424-2300 or at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
NM Tech Research day February 18th.
SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH ENGINES:
College Board Big Future (must have College Board account)
AXA Achievement Scholarship opens September 1, 2018 until 10,000 applications are submitted or December 14, 2018, whichever comes first
– $1,000-$25,000 awards
– No minimum GPA requirement
– Must demonstrate ambition and self-drive in school, community or work-related activities
– Only the first 10,000 applications are accepted.
FAFSA Workshop Scholarship open Oct. 1, 2018 – April 1, 2019 first come, first serve basis
– Must have filed your FAFSA at a workshop at PAPA or other venue
El Mezquite UNM Scholarship due October 3, 2018
– Must be attending UNM in Fall 2019
– 3.0 GPA
– Proficiency in the Spanish language and demonstrated leadership and commitment to advance the culture and economy of Mexico through a chosen career
– Low-income students demonstrating financial need
– Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate leadership within the Hispanic community
*Requires essay, two letters of recommendation and acceptance letter from UNM
AES Scholarship due October 6, 2018
Hispanic Heritage Fund due October 15, 2018
Wendy’s Heisman Scholarship due October 17, 2018
– 3.0 GPA
– Must be an athlete in school-sponsored sport
Dr. Pepper Tuition Giveaway due Oct. 17, 2018 (must be 18)
ACT Student Champion Award due Oct. 31, 2018
– 22 or higher composite score on ACT
– 3.0 higher GPA
Young Asian American Student Award open to 10th-12th graders with Asian heritage due October 22, 2018
Horatio Alger Scholarship due Oct. 25, 2018
Coca-Cola Scholarship due Oct. 31, 2018
2018 Prudential Comm. awards due Nov. 6, 2018 (OPEN TO ALL MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS!)
– Must have performed community service after September 1, 2017
Fisher and Talwar Scholarship due Nov. 15, 2018
– Must have a minimum of 3.0 GPA.
Daniels Fund Scholarship open Oct. 1 – Nov. 30, 2018 4:00 p.m. MST
– Must apply for FAFSA first
– Demonstrate financial need
– Earn a minimum SAT Math score of 470 and a minimum Evidence-Based Reading & Writing score of 450 or a minimum ACT score of 17 in each category (writing score not required) All scores must come from a single test. Super scoring is not accepted
Albuquerque Community Foundations Scholarships open Dec. 1, 2018
Law Office of David Gordon & The Jeffcoat Firm Scholarship Essay & Video Contests due Dec. 7, 2018
– Open to HS Juniors and Seniors
– Write 600+ word essay or create 2-minute video on drunk driving
GE-Reagan Foundation Scholarship Program due January 2019 (date TBD)
– 3.0 GPA
Scholarships for Asian American and Pacific Islander Students due Jan. 10, 2019
NM School Scholarship Pages (including Bridge and Lottery information):