What is a charter school?
According to uscharterschools.org (an online learning community to serve and support charter schools):
“Charter schools are nonsectarian public schools of choice that operate with freedom from many of the regulations that apply to traditional public schools. The “charter” establishing each such school is a performance contract detailing the school’s mission, program, goals, students served, methods of assessment, and ways to measure success. The length of time for which charters are granted varies, but most are granted for 3-5 years. At the end of the term, the entity granting the charter may renew the school’s contract. Charter schools are accountable to their sponsor– usually a state or local school board– to produce positive academic results and adhere to the charter contract. The basic concept of charter schools is that they exercise increased autonomy in return for this accountability. They are accountable for both academic results and fiscal practices to several groups: the sponsor that grants them, the parents who choose them, and the public that funds them.”
PAPA completed its third Charter renewal with APS which is active through the 2019-20 school year.
PAPA Charter Renewal Application 2014
PAPA was originally founded during the 2000-2001 school year. Our original founders were Frank Butler, Kristina Lord Linde, Bob Perls, Joan Findley Perls, Valerie Scott, and Fred Pink.
Is PAPA the “right” school of choice?
- If your child has a serious interest in the performing arts (dance, choir, musical instruments, theater, musical theater, film, visual arts)…
- If you are willing to make a commitment to performance schedules that go beyond the school day and on weekends…
- If you are looking for a rigorous, college preparatory curriculum…
- If your child is ready to take Algebra 1 in 8th Grade…
- If you are committed to having your child present and engaged daily…
- If you support the concept that homework is necessary for the acquisition of knowledge and skills needed for college…
- If you want your child to attend a school where respect is the norm, not the goal…
PAPA may be the right school for your child!
The Lottery window closed February 24, 2017. An electronic lottery drawing for the 2017-2018 school year will take place on March 1, 2017. Results willbe posted on the school website on March 2, 2017 by receipt number. Everyone who has completed a lottery application will also receive a postcard which will let you know whether your child has a place at PAPA or what their number is on the wait list. Results will not be provided over the phone.
Lottery Results by Grade:
The next student we call in the 6th grade has the #60.
If a receipt number is highlighted in green we have a place for your child.
If a receipt number is highlighted in purple the student is a Sibling of a current PAPA student and also has a place.
If you have a receipt # highlighted in green or purple you can accept the place by calling 830-3128 ext 0. You have until March 17 before 3:00pm to accept the place. If you miss this deadline, the opening will be given to the next child on the Lottery wait list.